Johnson Creek Trestle, a former railroad bridge, is part of our Olympic Discovery Trail system. It is 410 feet long, with a graceful curve, banking slightly, features that add to its strength and stability.
It is the largest railroad trestle on the Olympic Peninsula and rises 86 feet above the creek below.
Click here for more information about the Johnson Creek Trestle history.
We camped for a night recently at Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend. Fort Worden is a compound of former military buildings that now house a conference center, education partnerships, vacation rentals, and eateries as well as campgrounds and beaches. And in the midst of it all is Alexander’s Castle, shown above.
In 1883 the rector at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Port Townsend, John B. Alexander, acquired 10 acres of land in this area and built what came to be known as Alexander’s Castle. He and his intended bride would live here after he fetched her from Scotland. Alas, she married another and he returned a bachelor. He used the building as a temporary residence. In 1897 the property was acquired by the federal government and the construction of Fort Worden began.
In the 1880s and 1890s Alexander held posts in the region as Honorary British Vice-Consul and Her Majesty’s Consul. In his later years he lived in England and died there in the 1930s. During military operations at the Fort, Alexander’s Castle was used for family living, as an observation post, and a tailor shop.
Port Williams on Sequim Bay was at one time an actual port. A large hotel, restaurant, and general store were all located here, along with a dock that served as a Port of Entry for Sequim. Today the area is a small park known as Marlyn Nelson County Park, named for a young local soldier who was killed in the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor that provoked the U.S. entry into World War II.
The bluffs you see here have another claim to history. Bones from woolly mammoths have sloughed from the sandy cliffs, residents from long, l-o-n-g ago.
There are remnants of an old pier in Dungeness Bay near the former location of the Three Crabs Restaurant. The road has been rerouted around a wetland but there’s a small parking lot and short trail that leads to the beach. The area is planted with native vegetation and is being restored.
This fellow resides at the Dungeness River Audubon Center. He’s pretty benign as bears go.
Old Victorian buildings are sometimes called “painted ladies.” This one in Port Townsend is a good example.
The Parliament building in Victoria is beautiful by day. Lit at night it shows off its elegant architecture.
This is a side of Parliament that many tourists don’t get around to seeing. It’s at the back of the building. And it’s none too shabby for a “back door.”